Tuesday 21 August 2012

Dr. Dolittle (1998)



I remember this from my childhood, but never even watched it to the end. So this time around I have taken time to watch it form the beginning to the end.
The thing I love about this film is that it is just like Babe (1995) where animals can talk, but with a little more twist: a doctor can talk to animals and they can talk to him--and, boy, it is ruining his life. And what I found in this movie are some constant innuendos--including one involving Dolittle administering a jab through a woman's posterior (her ass!)-- and scenes of veterinarian surgeries which I think are too disturbing for anybody, particularly children, to look at unless they are, of course, vets. There are plenty of hilarious moments in this movie where animals can talk, but the jokes just don't work: most of them involving animals are more or less plain offensive. If there are jokes too crude for children to comprehend, I think the makers should have the rating re-certified.

Dr.  Dolittle

So John's a doctor but not a vet. Although I do see how he is comfortable with treating animals from farms and the wild. But one thing I do no like is this: wouldn't anyone find it VERY bizarre and downright repulsive that a doctor is trying to resuscitate a rat?!! This movie may be aimed at kids, but with this in mind, I think somebody has to get their head checked! (I bet Eddie Murphy had to be rehabbed after this fiasco! Nobody would come back from a scene this creepy and revolting.) But nevertheless this movie is a hit with his performance as Dr. Dolittle, someone who can talk to animals. The most humorous of all the talking animals has to be that Guinea pig. He never shuts up!



Dr-Dolittle-1998-ScreenShot-31



But I do have to admit: this situation has taken this poor guy to a mental institute where even the patients find him creepy. Yet, I still think he has a long way to go before his problems can be overcome. I cannot say anything negative about this movie, only about a tiger rampaging among people before undergoing surgery.
Oh my gosh! I thought butt jokes were crude enough! Now we get pigeon crapping on two doctor's heads! Yuk! Really, if you want to make jokes for children, please make them sensible and not downright repulsive, please!


Dr-Dolittle-fm02.jpgOverall, I have seen that despite the humor in this movie, there has been no solid plot at all. But at least this did not flop like its dissimilar 1967 predecessor.

No comments: